News & Events
Lynn Cazabon and Neal McDonald Collaborative Project
Junkspace in Albuquerque and San Jose
Wednesday, September 12th, 2012 //
Junkspace installation sketch for 516Arts, Albuquerque, NM
Visual Arts faculty Lynn Cazabon and Neal McDonald will present their collaborative project Junkspace in two concurrent exhibitions this fall. Junkspace is a time and location-sensitive animation and corresponding mobile application that superimposes two forms of waste, one earth-bound (electronic waste) and the other celestial (orbital debris), and three different forms of space: outer space, physical space and virtual space. Using orbital debris tracking data published by NORAD and the GPS coordinates of the exhibition venue, the movement of animated e-waste on screen aligns with the orbital path of actual pieces of debris in orbit above the user's location. Using the free Junkspace iOS App, viewers can obtain more information on the originating satellite or rocket, including launch date, country of origin, and purpose, by tapping on its name.
Junkspace will be presented in two unique installation formats for these exhibitions:
Machine Wilderness: ISEA Main Exhibition, 516Arts, Albuquerque, NM,
Sept 20, 2012 - Jan 6, 2013.
For Machine Wilderness, Junkspace will be presented as a site-specific projection onto a two-sided material adhered to a window at the entrance to 516Arts, reflecting debris in orbit above Albuquerque.
ArtHERE Silicon Valley: ZERO1 Biennial, San Jose, CA, Sept 12 - Dec 8, 2012.
For ZERO1, Junkspace will be installed in a commercial building in downtown San Jose, presented as a site-specific projection reflecting debris in orbit above San Jose and as a series of six large-scale backlit fabric prints installed in the building's front windows.
// About Our New Website
// Current News
// Current Events
- Charlotte Keniston at Maryland Art Place
- Steve Bradley Inter-Media Art at Maryland Art Place
- Lynn Cazabon In Exhibition at Castle Gallery
- Undergrad Carlyn Thomas Curates Show at Gallery 788
- Tim Nohe in Clifton Park Exhibition
- Visual Arts Alumna Pilar Rau '96 At URCAD
- Lynn Cazabon & Neal McDonald's Junkspace Showing in Poland
- 2013 MFA Thesis Exhibition
- Visiting Artists & Designers Lectures
- Lynn Cazabon Uncultivated in Group Exhibition
- Lisa Moren Lectures in Montreal
- Lynn Cazabon Exhibition at Georgetown U
- John Sturgeon Lecture in Glasgow, Scotland