Faculty & Staff
Affiliate Associate Professor
Associate Director, Imaging Research Center
410-455-8444 ITE 101F
Lee Boot is an experimental media artist and researcher exploring new ways to represent knowledge in human environments. He is Associate Research Scholar and Associate Director at the Imaging Research Center at UMBC and is founder of the experimental media studio, InfoCulture. Lee's video, interactive works and films have been broadcast and exhibited nationally and internationally at venues including the Johannesburg Biennial in South Africa and London's Serpentine Gallery. His feature film, Euphoria, won the Gold Award for documentary at the Houston International Film Festival in 2005. As Principal Investigator of research sponsored by the National Institutes of Health and the Robert W. Deutsch Foundation, his work is published in journals and presented at conferences that focus on with education, new media and digital communications. Currently, he is working with the National Academy of Sciences to identify and express the most meaningful aspects of new research in the sciences and other fields, and exploring new ways to use art and digital media to help such knowledge become part of culture.
From 1984 to 2000, Mr. Boot taught both middle and high school. He became head of the Art Department at McDonogh School in Owings Mills MD, and then moved to Baltimore County Public Schools for whom he wrote the county's first digital film and animation curriculum while teaching at the George Washington Carver Center for Arts and Technology. During that time, he earned a Distinguished Teacher Award from the White House Commission on Presidential Scholars. Lee recently began WhoWeAm, a media project about the importance of culture in human decision-making and the power of art to nurture cultural wisdom (whoweam.com). The project blog can be found at whoweam.com, and a weekly series of films and articles on the subject appears in Baltimore’s cultural e-zine, What Weekly (whatweekly.com).
Professor Boot holds an M.F.A. from the Maryland Institute College of Art and a B.F.A. from Syracuse University.
// About Our New Website
// Current News
// Current Events
- Charlotte Keniston at Maryland Art Place
- Steve Bradley Inter-Media Art at Maryland Art Place
- Lynn Cazabon In Exhibition at Castle Gallery
- Undergrad Carlyn Thomas Curates Show at Gallery 788
- Tim Nohe in Clifton Park Exhibition
- Visual Arts Alumna Pilar Rau '96 At URCAD
- Lynn Cazabon & Neal McDonald's Junkspace Showing in Poland
- 2013 MFA Thesis Exhibition
- Visiting Artists & Designers Lectures
- Lynn Cazabon Uncultivated in Group Exhibition
- Lisa Moren Lectures in Montreal
- Lynn Cazabon Exhibition at Georgetown U
- John Sturgeon Lecture in Glasgow, Scotland