Faculty & Staff
410-455-6597 FA 108
Joseph Coates is a designer and typographer who researches and documents the global emergence, growth, and impact of contemporary design practice.
Coates has presented at national and international design venues and conferences. Recently he was in Greece to speak at a design conference. While in Greece he also interviewed and videotaped contemporary Greek graphic designers as part of his ongoing documentation and research.
Joseph Coates has received numerous awards for his work, including a Fulbright in Poland where he studied changes in design as the country emerged from a communist state into a democratic state.
Professor Coates holds a degree in Photography from California Institute of the Arts (B.F.A.) and a degree in Graphic Design from the Rhode Island School of Design (M.F.A.)
// About Our New Website
// Current News
// Current Events
- Charlotte Keniston at Maryland Art Place
- Steve Bradley Inter-Media Art at Maryland Art Place
- Lynn Cazabon In Exhibition at Castle Gallery
- Undergrad Carlyn Thomas Curates Show at Gallery 788
- Tim Nohe in Clifton Park Exhibition
- Visual Arts Alumna Pilar Rau '96 At URCAD
- Lynn Cazabon & Neal McDonald's Junkspace Showing in Poland
- 2013 MFA Thesis Exhibition
- Visiting Artists & Designers Lectures
- Lynn Cazabon Uncultivated in Group Exhibition
- Lisa Moren Lectures in Montreal
- Lynn Cazabon Exhibition at Georgetown U
- John Sturgeon Lecture in Glasgow, Scotland