Faculty & Staff
Mark Alice Durant
410-455-2086 FA 351
Mark Alice Durant is a photographer whose photographs, installations, and performances have been presented internationally including the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago and Artist’s Space in New York. In 1991, he co-founded the performance duo ‘men of the world’ that for 10 years performed on the streets of Chicago, Toronto, Seattle, New York, Houston, San Francisco, and other cities. He has written extensively on the nexus of photography, performance and cultural phenomena with essays appearing in such journals as Art in America, Art on Paper, ArtUS, Art Journal, Afterimage, Dear Dave, Exposure, New Art Examiner, and PLUK.
Durant is the editor of the online journal Saint Lucy which is devoted to writing about photography, contemporary art and the lovely people of Baltimore.
He has contributed to numerous catalogs, monographs and anthologies including The Passionate Camera: Photography and Bodies of Desire, The Gothic, Jimmie Durham and Marco Breuer: Early Recordings. He is author of McDermott and McGough: A History of Photography, Robert Heinecken: A Material History and co-author of Vik Muniz: Seeing is Believing and Dressed for Thrills: 100 Years of Halloween Costume and Masquerade. In 2005, Durant co-curated and co-authored Blur of the Otherworldly: Contemporary Art, Technology and the Paranormal. Durant was co-curator of Some Assembly Required: Collage Culture in Post-War America in 2002 and in 2008, he curated Notes on Monumentality at the Baltimore Museum of Art. He has served on the faculties of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, UCLA, the University of New Mexico, Syracuse University, and the Milton Avery Graduate School for the Arts at Bard College.
He has received grants and fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Fleishhacker Foundation, the Center for Creative Photography, the Illinois Arts Council, and the MacDowell Colony.
Professor Durant received his B.F.A. from Massachusetts College of Art and M.F.A. from the San Francisco Art Institute.
// About Our New Website
// Current News
- Media Job Opening at JHU
- BMA Selects Baltimore Artists Rahne Alexander & Jaimes Mayhew for one-year Commons Collaboration
- Maryland State Arts Council Announces Individual Artist Award Recipients
- New BFA Degree in Design
- New Video Channel on Vimeo
- Octava @ Boston University
- Octava performs with River Oaks Chamber Orchestra
- Smallwood/Dusman on NPR's Here and Now
- Victor Torres IMDA MFA Directs Gallery
// Current Events
- Cliff Evans IMDA '16 Video Screening
- Lightstruck Film Festival
- (im)Permanent Landscapes
- Matter, Energy, Human
- Robert Pawloski Screenplay Finalist
- IMDA Thesis Exhibition
- Cathy Cook On Panel Discussion
- Light City Baltimore
- Sarah Sharp Curates NY Armory Week Exhibition
- Calla Thompson & Cathy Cook at VisArts At Rockville
- Timothy Nohe Exhibition at Kuhn Library Gallery
- Vin Grabill's New Video