Faculty & Staff
Art History and Museum Studies
College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences
410-455-2840 PHY 328
Dr. Kathy O'Dell is an art critic and historian of modern and contemporary art, with a focus on performance art and issues related to global art. Her writings have appeared in Artforum, Art in America, Lusitania, Performance Research, TDR: The Drama Review, Textile: The Journal of Cloth & Culture, and Women & Performance: A Journal of Feminist Theory. She was a co-founder, editor, and president of Link: A Critical Journal on the Arts, which published ten book-length volumes between 1996 and 2005. She also curated the first retrospective of the little-known artwork of the well-known feminist writer Kate Millett in 1997 at the Center for Art, Design, and Visual Culture at UMBC.
Author of Contract with the Skin: Masochism, Performance Art, and the 1970s (University of Minnesota Press, 1998), O'Dell is currently finishing a major survey book titled World Art Since 1945, co-written with Duke University Professor Kristine Stiles, and is beginning work on a sole-authored book titled The Dot: A Big History of a Small Point. O'Dell has lectured at national and international institutions, including the Getty Research Institute (L.A.), Guggenheim Museum of Art (N.Y.), Royal Danish Academy of Art (Copenhagen), Danish Design School (Copenhagen), Mt. Allison University (Canada), Manchester University (U.K.), and John Hansard Gallery (U.K.).
Since 2001, O'Dell has been Associate Dean of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences at UMBC. Her portfolio has included PreK-16 issues, arts and arts education initiatives, conflict mediation, family/medical support planning, and women's leadership. She chairs the AEMS Alliance's Higher Education in the Arts Task Force, serves on the Board of Directors of the Greater Baltimore Cultural Alliance, and is a Councilor on the Maryland State Art Council.
Dr. O'Dell has a B.A. in Art and French from Colby College, M.A. in Art History from the University of California, Berkeley, and Ph.D. in Art History from the CUNY Graduate Center.
// About Our New Website
// Current News
// Current Events
- Charlotte Keniston at Maryland Art Place
- Steve Bradley Inter-Media Art at Maryland Art Place
- Lynn Cazabon In Exhibition at Castle Gallery
- Undergrad Carlyn Thomas Curates Show at Gallery 788
- Tim Nohe in Clifton Park Exhibition
- Visual Arts Alumna Pilar Rau '96 At URCAD
- Lynn Cazabon & Neal McDonald's Junkspace Showing in Poland
- 2013 MFA Thesis Exhibition
- Visiting Artists & Designers Lectures
- Lynn Cazabon Uncultivated in Group Exhibition
- Lisa Moren Lectures in Montreal
- Lynn Cazabon Exhibition at Georgetown U
- John Sturgeon Lecture in Glasgow, Scotland